Sunday, March 16, 2008

Waiting...

Irashaimasu!

I've decided to start a blog as a daily journal about my trip to Japan.  Well... my "would-be" trip to Japan, as I don't know if I'm going just yet. Last November, I created a proposal and a follow-on plan, both of which I submitted to the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund as my application to be part of their June 2008 JFMF teacher group. If accepted, I get to spend three weeks in Japan learning about Japanese education and culture.  If I don't get accepted, I'll just try again for 2009!

I've been reading a lot of online journals in preparation for the trip, and they've been both entertaining and helpful.  One of the things that has caught my interest during this waiting period has been the date that past participants received their acceptance letters. I just can't stand waiting!  My passport came last week, so when do I find out if I made the trip?  In one of the journals, the teacher included a scan of her acceptance letter dated March 18, and on another journal site the teacher listed March 21 as the date she received the letter.  Both of those dates for 2008 fall within the coming week, so I will be approaching the mailbox with a great sense of anticipation every day after I get home from school.  When the letter comes, we'll take a video of me opening the envelope so that you all can see my reaction if I am accepted... I suspect words just won't be able to describe it.  No matter what happens, I'll include a scan of the letter.  

My students already know that I've applied and they know that I'll find out this month whether I get to go on the trip.  They've been asking me almost daily if I found out any news, and every day I tell them not yet... 

We'll know soon enough.  

Until then, Epcot will have to suffice!

3 comments:

Ralph-Sensei said...

Testing comments....

Elizabeth H said...

Congrats! Alexander was so excited to tell me about your trip, since I had lived in Japan for 3 years. You will love it; the people are really nice! Have a great time. As always, thank you for all you do for our children! Elizabth H.

Ralph-Sensei said...

Elizabeth, thanks so much for your comment. I'm sooooo looking forward to sharing this experience with the children and parents in our classroom. This program is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity for a teacher. I'm glad that this class, that I've been able to spend so much time with, will be able to benefit from it!